Certificate for Civic Engagement
Applications for the Civic Engagement Certificate Program (Spring 2014) will be due by 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 13.
This program allows students to develop their ability to change the world, and in the words of one student, “See the world as something more than just yourself.”
• Develop skills in 6 areas of civic engagement: civic identity and commitment, leadership, diversity of community and culture, civic communication, analysis of knowledge, and action;
• Gain a competitive advantage in the job market by demonstrating your character through your commitment to civic interests;
• Acquire new perspectives in the community and world around you;
• Increase your knowledge and gain new perspectives in the community and world around you;
• Gain rewarding experiences;
o Learn more about the community around you;
o Have a better understanding of what you want to do after graduation;
o Help others;
o Make a difference in the community.
In order to be accepted into the program, students must have at least a 2.5 GPA and have at least a minimum of 4 semesters left at the University. First semester students are welcome also. This program will not delay your graduation and required courses for your major may also apply. This program has NO ADDITIONAL COST to you.
Seminar Dates and Times for Next Semester:
All seminars will take place in the Ubuntu room (room 202 in the Jackie Gaughan Center.
Jan 26th- Civic Value 2 from noon-2pm
Civic Values 3 and 4 from 2:30-5:30pm
Feb 2nd- Civic Values 5 and 6 from noon-2pm
Civic Value 1 from 2:30-4:30pm
Curricular- Four 3-credit courses selected from Civic Engagement Designated courses. Three of the four courses must be at the 300 or 400 level.
Co-Curricular- Series of student-designed experiences on the campus, in the community and beyond that support the Civic Engagement Learning Values.
Stop by the Center for Civic Engagement (Nebraska Union 222) and pick up your application today.
More details at: http://go.unl.edu/xum3