Thirty University of Nebraska-Lincoln students were recently recognized as outstanding agents of character and integrity by being named to "Franco's List." Jazmin Castillo, a fisheries and wildlife major at the School of Natural Resources, was one of them.
Students who attain the highest level of academic achievement are recognized by their academic dean through the Dean's List. Similarly, Franco's List – named after Juan Franco, the university's vice chancellor for student affairs – recognizes students identified as demonstrating the positive characteristics that are part of being a person of integrity.
Selection to Franco's List is awarded to students who represent six building blocks of character: caring, citizenship, commitment, dependability, open-mindedness and respect.
All of the recipients were nominated by a campus community member and selected by a council of their peers, the vice chancellor for student affairs' Character Council.
Recipients were announced at an awards ceremony Nov. 18.
The following is a list by hometown of students named to Franco's List with their year in school and academic major(s).
- Arlington: Dominik Redden, junior, nutrition, exercise and health science
- Bellevue: Alexa Burmeister, junior, elementary education
- Columbus: Carly Burkhardt, junior, English and pre-law
- Elkhorn: Jake Headid, senior, fine art-graphic design
- Grand Island: Morgan Mallory, senior, speech-language pathology; Juana Paramo, junior, accounting and finance; Laura Springer, junior, history and communication studies
- Gresham: Dalton Dey, senior, finance
- Kearney: Spencer Lindsay, senior, history
- Lincoln: Levi Gipson, senior, nutrition, exercise and health science; Sara Oleson, junior, pre-dentistry and nutrition science; Abi Paudel, senior, biochemisty and pre-med
- Louisville: Lauren Stohlmann, senior, agricultural and environmental sciences communication
- Omaha: Camden Bilyeu, junior, chemistry and economics; Derrick Gulley, junior, human development and family studies; Samuel Jensen, junior, biochemistry and psychology; Kelsey Koski, junior, marketing; Joy "JD" McCown, senior, psychology, and women and gender studies; Sydney Rhoades, senior, speech-language pathology
- Scribner: Elizabeth Boschult, senior, chemical and biomolecular engineering
- South Sioux City: Jazmin Castillo, senior, fisheries and wildlife
- Adel, Iowa: Bailey Schulz, junior, journalism, and advertising and public relations
- Hutchinson, Kansas: Colton Harper, sophomore, computer science and mathematics
- Lawrence, Kansas: Emily Murphy, sophomore, business administration
- Overland Park, Kansas: Carolyn Willis, senior, advertising and public relations
- Kearney, Missouri: Laura Barrow, junior, marketing
- North Canton, Ohio: Nicole Tank, sophomore, veterinary science
- Maryville, Tennessee: Stephanie Blair, graduate student, educational administration
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Insyira Amin, senior, psychology
- Gwangju-si, South Korea: Yoo Jeong Lee, junior, arts
More details at: http://news.unl.edu