All University Honors Convocation is April 22 at Lied Center
Released on 04/12/2007, at 2:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
WHEN: Sunday, Apr. 22, 2007
WHERE: Lied Center for Performing Arts, 301 N. 12th Street
Some 315 students and nearly three dozen faculty will be recognized at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's annual All University Honors Convocation April 22. Barbara Couture, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, will preside over the event that begins at 1 p.m. in the Lied Center for Performing Arts, 301 N. 12th St.
Students recognized include 10 Chancellor's Scholars who will receive their degrees in May and August who have maintained 4.0 grade-point averages on all collegiate work; Rising Scholars, who are freshmen and sophomores who have achieved 4.0 GPAs; the top 10 percent of the freshman class; and Superior Scholars, who are graduating seniors who have been on the Honors Convocation lists since matriculation, 4.0 juniors and 4.0 non-graduating seniors.
The following faculty will receive College Awards for Distinguished Teaching:
* David M. Admiraal, associate professor, civil engineering, College of Engineering;
* Audrey L. Atkin, associate professor, biological sciences, School of Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences;
* John R. Bender, associate professor, news-editorial, College of Journalism and Mass Communications;
* William L. Borner II, professor, architecture, College of Architecture;
* Robert Brooke, professor, English, College of Arts and Sciences;
* Cynthia Cress, associate professor, special education and communication disorders, College of Education and Human Sciences;
* Gretchen C. Foley, assistant professor, music theory, School of Music, Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts;
* Thomas C. Gannon, assistant professor, English; College of Arts and Sciences;
* Catherine A. Huddleston-Casas, assistant professor, family and consumer sciences, College of Education and Human Sciences;
* Wayne G. Jensen, assistant professor, construction management and civil engineering; College of Engineering;
* Richard E. Moberly, assistant professor, law, College of Law;
* James E. Partridge, professor, plant pathology, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources;
* Amit Saini, Harold and Esther Edgerton assistant professor of marketing, College of Business Administration.
These faculty will be honored with Charles Bessey and Willa Cather professorships:
* Dawn O. Braithwaite, Willa Cather professor and professor of communication studies, College of Arts and Sciences.
* Gerald Shapiro, Willa Cather professor and professor of English, College of Arts and Sciences.
* Hendrik Jacobus Viljoen, Willa Cather professor and professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering, College of Engineering.
* Yiqi Yang, Charles Bessey professor and professor of textiles, clothing and design and professor of biological systems engineering, College of Education and Human Sciences and College of Engineering.
These additional faculty and staff will be honored:
* Amy Nelson Burnett, Academy of Distinguished Teachers, professor, history, College of Arts and Sciences.
* Rochelle Lene Dalla, Donald R. and Mary Lee Swanson Award for Excellence in Teaching, associate professor, family and consumer sciences, College of Education and Human Sciences.
* Judy Diamond, Distinguished Educational Service Award, professor and curator for informal science education, University of Nebraska State Museum.
* Aaron Holz, Harold and Esther Edgerton Junior Faculty Award, assistant professor, art and art history, Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts.
* Elizabeth Ingraham, Annis Chaikin Sorensen Award, associate professor, art and art history, Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts.
* James O'Hanlon, Louise Pound-George Howard Award, professor and dean emeritus of the former Teachers College, College of Education and Human Sciences.
* Morris Schneider, "Doc" Elliott Award conferred by the Nebraska Alumni Association, emeritus professor, industrial and management systems engineering, College of Engineering.
* Dennis D. Schulte, Student Foundation/Builders Award for Outstanding Academic Advising, professor, biological systems engineering, College of Engineering.
* Susan K. Voss, James V. Griesen Award for Exemplary Service to Students, student development and events director, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
The Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, will be honored with the University-wide Departmental Teaching Award from the University of Nebraska System.
CONTACT: Annette Wetzel, University Communications, (402) 472-8524