NU State Museum's 'Colorful Creature' contest begins Feb. 1
Released on 01/27/2009, at 2:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 1, 2009, through Apr. 18, 2009
The University of Nebraska State Museum will conduct its first "Colorful Creature Contest" Feb. 1 through April 18.
Children in pre-school through fifth grade are invited participate in this special challenge to create the most wildly colorful version of their favorite ancient or modern creature. The contest will include two Creature Categories: General and Mammoth. The general category includes depictions of any creature, such as a tiger, bug, dinosaur, camel, rhino, buffalo or any other living thing found in nature in the past or present. The second category is for depictions of mammoths only. Participants may submit one entry per category. All entries will be judged by museum staff based on use of color, creativity and imagination. There will be first-, second- and third-place winners selected among each of the following age groups: preschool and younger, Grades K-1, Grades 2-3 and Grades 4-5. The top three entries from each age group will be awarded gift-certificate prizes from the museum's Discovery Shop, along with the honor of having their artwork featured on the museum's Web site. With prior permission, winning artwork may also be used on merchandise sold in the museum's Discovery Shop. Additionally, first-place winners will have their art published in an upcoming issue of Lincoln Kids newspaper. All entries will be showcased in the museum as part of a special exhibit beginning in May.
To enter, complete the entry form found at www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest, and submit it along with artwork no later than April 18. Mail or deliver to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0388. Kids and parents hand-delivering their entries will receive half-price museum admission that day.
Morrill Hall is located south of 14th and Vine streets on the UNL City Campus. Admission is $5 for adults (19 and older), $3 for children (5-18 years, 4 and younger are free), and $10 for families (up to two adults and their children). There is an additional charge for planetarium shows. Parking is free. For more information about the museum or this opportunity, call (402) 472-3779 or visit www.museum.unl.edu.
University of Nebraska State Museum "Colorful Creature Contest" Guidelines:
* Contestants may submit one entry per Creature Category: General and Mammoth
* A separate entry form must be attached to each piece of artwork submitted. To print an entry form, visit www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest.
* All artwork must be on white, 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper
* Contestants may use any kind of art medium. Use of vibrant color is strongly encouraged.
* Entries must be received by April 18.
* Artwork and entry forms, may be dropped off or mailed to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0338.
* There is no purchase necessary, nor any cost to enter.
The Top 3 from each age grouping will be eligible for the following prizes:
* 1st Place--$50 gift certificate in the Museum Discovery Shop
* 2nd Place--$25 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
* 3rd Place--$15 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
For official rules, visit www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest.
News Release Contacts:
- Dana D W Ludvik, Marketing/Communications Spec, Water for Food Institute
phone: 402 472 9510