Morrill Hall's Colorful Creature art contest deadline is April 16
Released on 02/15/2010, at 12:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Morrill Hall will conduct its second annual "Colorful Creature Contest" Feb. 15 through April 16. All artwork received will go on exhibit at Morrill Hall as part of the museum's Colorful Creature Day celebration May 15.
Children in pre-school through fifth grade are welcome to participate in this special challenge to create the most wildly colorful version of their favorite ancient or modern creature. The contest includes two Creature Categories: General and Mammoth. The general category includes depictions of any creature, such as a tiger, bug, dinosaur, camel, rhino, buffalo or any other living thing found in nature in the past or present. The second category is for depictions of mammoths only. Participants may submit one entry per category. Categories are combined for judging.
All entries will be judged based on creativity, imagination and use of color. There will be first-, second- and third-place winners selected among each of the following age groups: pre-school and younger, Grades K-1, Grades 2-3 and Grades 4-5. The top three entries from each age group will be awarded gift-certificate prizes from the museum's Discovery Shop, along with the honor of having their artwork featured on the museum's Web site. Additionally, first-place winners will have their art published in an upcoming issue of Lincoln Kids newspaper. All entries will be showcased at Morrill Hall beginning May 15 as part of the museum's Colorful Creature Day.
To enter, complete the entry form at www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest, and submit it along with artwork no later than April 16. Mail or deliver to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0388. Kids and parents hand-delivering their entries between Feb. 15 and April 16 will receive half-price museum admission that day.
University of Nebraska State Museum "Colorful Creature Contest" Guidelines:
- Contestants may submit one entry per Creature Category: General and Mammoth
- A separate entry form must be attached to each piece of artwork submitted. To print an entry form, visit www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest.
- All artwork must be on white, 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper
- Contestants may use any kind of art medium. Use of vibrant color is strongly encouraged.
- Entries must be received by April 16. - Artwork and entry forms may be dropped off or mailed to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0338.
The Top 3 from each age grouping will be eligible for the following prizes:
- 1st Place -$50 gift certificate in the Museum Discovery Shop
- 2nd Place -$25 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
- 3rd Place -$15 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
For official rules, visit the museum Web site.