'Colorful Creature' statewide art contest deadline is March 26
Released on 02/23/2011, at 2:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
The University of Nebraska State Museum is conducting its third annual "Colorful Creature" statewide art contest now through March 26.
Children in pre-school through fifth grade can participate in this special challenge to create the most wildly colorful version of their favorite ancient or modern creature. The contest includes two Creature Categories: General and Mammoth. The general category includes depictions of any creature, such as an insect, bird, bear, dinosaur, rhino, buffalo or any other living thing found in nature in the past or present. The second category is for depictions of mammoths only. Participants may submit one entry per category. Categories are combined for judging.
All entries will be judged based on creativity, imagination and use of color. There will be first-, second- and third-place winners selected among each of the following age groups: pre-school and younger, Grades K-1, Grades 2-3 and Grades 4-5. The top three entries from each age group will be awarded gift-certificate prizes from the museum's Discovery Shop, along with the honor of having their artwork featured on the museum's website. Additionally, first-place winners will have their art published in an upcoming issue of Lincoln Kids newspaper. All entries will be showcased at Morrill Hall beginning April 2 as part of the museum's Colorful Creature Day, a family event where art and animals collide.
To enter, complete the entry form at www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest, and submit it along with artwork no later than March 26. Mail or deliver to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0388. Kids and parents hand-delivering their entries between Feb. 21 and March 26 will receive half-price museum admission that day.
University of Nebraska State Museum "Colorful Creature Contest" Guidelines:
* Contestants may submit one entry per Creature Category: General and Mammoth
* A separate entry form must be attached to each piece of artwork submitted. To print an entry form, visit www.museum.unl.edu/artcontest.
* All artwork must be on white, 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper.
* Attach entry forms to artwork with paper clips, not glue or staples.
* Contestants may use any kind of art medium. Use of vibrant color is strongly encouraged.
* Museum employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
* Entries must be received by March 26. Artwork and entry forms may be dropped off or mailed to: University of Nebraska State Museum, 307 Morrill Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0338.
The Top 3 from each age grouping will be eligible for the following prizes:
* 1st Place -- $50 gift certificate in the Museum Discovery Shop
* 2nd Place -- $25 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
* 3rd Place -- $15 gift certificate in Museum Discovery Shop
All artwork received will go on exhibit at Morrill Hall as part of the museum's Colorful Creature Day event April 2. This art contest is part of a year-long celebration of the museum's 140th anniversary.
For official rules, visit www.museum.unl.edu.
WRITER: Dana Ludvik
News Release Contacts:
- Dana Ludvik, Public Relations Coordinator, NU State Museum
phone: (402) 472-3779