Bike UNL will host its annual event, Bike Fest, highlighting the University’s ongoing efforts to promote biking as a safe, practical, and economical form of transportation. The event is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 20 on the Nebraska Union plaza. Local vendors, education and safety demonstrations, games, prizes and entertainment will be showcased. Free and open to the public.
Bike Fest brings together a variety of community bike supporters to raise awareness about bicycle resources and amenities on campus and around the city of Lincoln. The event will feature:
• A Free Bike Giveaway from Lincoln-based CycleWorks
• Bike Lock Demos
• Bike Safety Checks by UNL Outdoor Adventures Bike Shop
• Time Your Commute
• Fit Your Helmet by CycleWorks
• Bike-Powered Smoothies by BikeUNL
• Bike Registration by UNL Police Department
• Biking Adventure Trip Info by UNL Outdoor Adventures
• Bike Lane Plans by the UNL Bike Planning Committee
• City of Lincoln Bike Share Program
• Star Tran
• More bike-related activities
Bike UNL and the bike-friendly campus effort is a partnership among student government (ASUN), Campus Recreation, and the Office of Institutional Research and Planning. The group also manages bike.unl.edu, a website to compile everything about the campus cycling scene, from rules of the road to maps of city and campus trails. The site serves as a clearinghouse for information to help promote cycling among the University and community.
The League of American Bicyclists (LAB) awards the designation of ‘Bicycle Friendly Campus’ to colleges and universities that create an exceptional environment for bicycling. UNL was awarded the Silver Bicycle Friendly University designation in 2013 by the LAB. The Outdoor Adventures Center was awarded the Gold Bicycle Friendly Business in 2015 and is one of only two Nebraska businesses to earn this title.
ABOUT BIKE UNL
Bike UNL represents the movement towards creating an environment at UNL that is welcoming and encouraging for bicycle commuters and cycling enthusiasts. Formed in the spirit of bike advocacy and a pro-active approach towards greater sustainability, Bike UNL is committed to:
• centralizing information on bicycling at UNL into one, clear source.
• educating UNL cyclists about campus resources, services, policies and cycling safety.
• creating and promoting cycling programs and events.
• advocating for bike-related issues and improvements at UNL.
In addition to Bike Fest, Bike UNL, in cooperation with the Nebraska Athletics Department, hosts a free Bike Valet service during all home Husker football games. Game Day Bike Valet’s goal is to help alleviate heavy game-day traffic while providing a safe, secure and convenient location for bicyclists to store their bikes just one block from Memorial Stadium. Freewill donations are accepted with proceeds used to install bike pumps and work stations around campus. Game Day Bike Valet opens two hours prior to kick-off and ends one hour after the final whistle. For more information, visit http://bike.unl.edu/bikevalet.
More details at: http://bike.unl.edu