Mortar Board is the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s only national senior honor society. It is an association of collegians selected for distinguished ability in scholarship, leadership, and service.
Mortar Board was founded on February 15, 1918 at Syracuse University and has since grown to include over 200 chartered chapters and 200,000 alumni. UNL's chapter - the Order of the Black Masque - was founded in 1905.
While it is an honor to be selected for membership in Mortar Board, it is the continued commitment to serve that differentiates Mortar Board from the other honorary societies. During the past year, Mortar Board has accomplished numerous activities including:
- honoring individuals who have made a difference in our lives through our “People Who Inspire” banquet.
- recognizing Nebraska’s most outstanding educators through our “Professor of the Month” award program.
- winning the 2020 RSO competition during homecoming week.
- volunteering weekly at Clinton Elementary.
- co-sponsoring our annual Jack Frost Jog to support the Team Jack Foundation.
Juniors and seniors can apply for UNL's the Black Masque Chapter of Mortar Board.
Freshman, sophomores, and seniors are invited to apply to be Mortar Board Notables and for the Drvol Family Scholarship.
Applications for the 2021 initiate class, Mortar Board Notable, and Drvol Family Scholarship are due January 29, 2021.
Questions? Visit the local Mortar Board website for more information or directed email inquiries to email@example.com.