Possible insurance option for older dependent children


If your dependent child age 19-26 loses medical insurance coverage with the University of Nebraska because his or her employer offers medical insurance, your dependent child may be eligible to enroll in their employer's plan. IRS regulations allow for participants to enroll for coverage during the year (other than open enrollment) if there is a qualified status change. Some employers will consider losing coverage with the University of Nebraska a status change.

If you have a dependent child age 19-26 who will lose medical insurance coverage with the university, you should contact your child's employer benefit office immediately. Since coverage ended Feb. 28 for these dependent children, there is 30 days from Feb. 28 to make the status change with your child's employer.

If you need documentation for your dependent's employer of the loss of coverage, contact the UNL Benefits Office at (402) 472-2600.