UNL officials urge fans to protect against extreme heat again this Saturday
Released on 09/05/2013, at 10:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
WHEN: Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013
WHERE: Memorial Stadium
With extreme heat expected on game day again this week, University of Nebraska-Lincoln officials are again encouraging fans planning to attend Saturday's football game at Memorial Stadium to be aware of the dangers of extreme heat and to take steps to protect themselves. Like last week, fans will be permitted to bring up to two of their own 20-oz. water bottles into the stadium.
The Huskers will face the University of Southern Mississippi in the heat of the day -- in expected 100-degree temperatures and a heat index likely to top 104. Stadium gates open at 3:30 p.m. and kickoff is at 5 p.m. Many fans will be seated in direct sunshine, which can raise the heat index by an additional 15 degrees. Close contact with other fans raises it further.
To prevent heat illness, fans attending Saturday's game should:
- Drink lots of water. Avoid drinking liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar, which cause the loss of more body fluid. Avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.
- Minimize direct contact with the sun. Try to rest often in shady areas.
- Snack regularly, rather than eating heavy meals. Consider eating light, cool, easy-to-digest foods such as fruit or salads.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing.
Fans will again be allowed to bring up to two of their own 20-oz. clear commercial water bottles into the stadium with them. Typically, stadium policy only allows fans to bring in empty plastic water bottles, but an exception is being made this week. Fans can purchase more water or refill at water fountains on the main concourses of Memorial Stadium. Four large, portable water fountains, one on each side of the stadium, also will be available.
The Red Cross will be on hand to provide emergency medical services. First Aid stations are in the southeast corner of field level, East Stadium upper concourse, East Stadium club level, northwest concourse and West Stadium club level. An emergency heart unit is in the northwest concourse; Advanced Cardiac Life Support is in the southeast corner of field level. Contact Red Cross volunteers, Boy Scout volunteers or stadium security personnel for assistance.
Writer: Steve Smith
News Release Contacts:
- Steve Smith, News Director, Office of University Communications UNL
- Charlotte Evans, Assistant Chief, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police