Memorial Stadium policies set for 2014
Released on 08/22/2014, at 2:00 AM
Office of University Communications
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Fans attending University of Nebraska home football games at Memorial Stadium this fall will experience an improved stadium sound system, and enhancements to Wi-Fi and cell phone services.
The enhanced Wi-Fi in the stadium is expected to be ready for the Aug. 30 season opener vs. Florida Atlantic. To connect to the new wireless system, fans will just need to look for the identifier "FanXP" and connect. Officials expect to expand the service to the area around the stadium a little later in the season.
Stadium policies will remain largely unchanged from 2013. A summary of those policies follows.
Tickets at all gates will be scanned with an optical reader for entrance and for re-entry if someone leaves the stadium. No re-entry is allowed beginning at the start of the fourth quarter.
Fans will again have the ability to utilize Memorial Stadium's text messaging service. For fan assistance, text to 69050 and start your message with UNLPD. Standard text message rates will apply.
UNL students will be seated in Sections 9 through 14 in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium, and all student seating is general admission. Students with tickets for East Stadium seating (Sections 9, 10 and 11) must pick up a required wristband at the tent east of Gate 23 beginning four hours prior to kickoff each game; when stadium gates open, they will enter Memorial Stadium through Gate 23. Wristbands are not required for students with tickets for South Stadium seating (Sections 12, 13 and 14, entering through Gate 24). UNL student tickets are sent to the students' valid NCard which will be scanned at the gate for admission. They must be scanned in and out just like a regular ticket. All transfers of student tickets may be done to other students enrolled at UNL. All transfers are done electronically from ticket accounts at http://www.huskers.com. Student-to-student transfers go directly onto the transferee's N Card at no charge. Tickets may be transferred one time to one person, so it is important that the original ticket holder send the invitation to the intended recipient as it is not possible to transfer it to a third party. Students may not transfer tickets to non-students.
Fans are asked to help the "Big Red Go Green" in a stepped-up recycling program this fall by depositing their plastic bottles and cups in marked recycling bins located near every trash receptacle.
Memorial Stadium gates will open 1 hour and 30 minutes before kickoff of each game and ticket holders are encouraged to enter the gate number printed on their ticket. Fans are encouraged to "travel light" when trying to gain entry to Memorial Stadium as all fans and their belongings are subject to inspection at stadium entrances. Fans are encouraged to review the list of prohibited items provided at http://www.huskers.com. All prohibited items must be discarded at the gate or returned to a vehicle or hotel room.
The Husker Nation Pavilion will be back for its 11th year, with most activities taking place on the Gass practice field, where the Huskers practice daily northeast of Memorial Stadium. It will be open 3 hours prior to kickoff and will provide free and fun activities for the whole family, games, music, autograph signings and appearances by current and former athletes across many sports.
Stadium Drive on the west side of the stadium will also have food vendors and some game-related activities.
Memorial Stadium policies:
- Stadium gates open 90 minutes prior to kickoff.
- The Athletic Ticket Office and Huskers Authentic open 4 hours prior to kickoff.
- Mobile tickets will be accepted; tickets can be stored on mobile devices and scanned at the gates.
- Bags larger than 13.5 inches by 10 inches by 7 inches will not be allowed in the stadium (security will use containers at the entrances to measure bags).
- Outside chairbacks are not allowed in Memorial Stadium. Some 20,000 chairback seats will be available for rental at $5 each.
- Escalator and elevator access will be restricted to those fans holding tickets to their respective areas in the premium level and the 600 East Stadium level.
- No entry or re-entry will be allowed after the start of the fourth quarter.
- A free bike valet service will be provided at Cook Pavilion by UNL Campus Recreation. For details, go to http://bike.unl.edu/bikevalet.
- Memorial Stadium, like all university buildings, is a non-smoking area (this includes electronic cigarettes or other forms of electronic smoking). Those who want to smoke must leave the stadium to do so. Tickets will be scanned for exiting and re-entry. Re-entry is available at each gate. Persons re-entering the stadium are subject to rescreening. No re-entry beginning at the start of the fourth quarter.
- The following items are prohibited in Memorial Stadium: Guns, knives, bags larger than security containers, glass, cans, coolers, beverage containers, video cameras, umbrellas and pets. People will be asked to return such items to their vehicles or home. Bags and other items that pass size restrictions are allowed but are subject to search. Plastic water bottles are permitted but may be inspected.
- Food and beverages from approved game day vendors selling on university grounds are allowed inside the stadium. All other outside food and beverages are prohibitied. Certain situations may arise (e.g., extreme heat) that initiate exceptions to this policy. UNL and the Athletic Department will communicate to the public if exceptions will be made.
- Alcoholic beverages of any type are not allowed in the stadium. In addition, consumption of alcohol is prohibited in city and university parking lots and property.
- The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not permit the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) on or over the UNL campus on football game days.
- Throwing of any object in the stadium is prohibited. Any person throwing any object is subject to immediate removal from the stadium. Rules allow game officials to penalize the home team if objects are thrown onto the playing field.
- Nebraska event staff or security personnel can help with any problems fans may encounter. If fans become separated from their friends, they should report to any First Aid station or Guest Services booth for assistance.
- Lost and found areas are located at the Guest Services Desks in both the East and West Stadiums..
Parking and traffic policies and procedures:
- Most parking lots on the UNL City Campus are reserved for those who have paid reservations on game days. Most lots surrounding the stadium have been converted to reserved stalls, with patrons assigned to specific numbered stalls. Paid public parking on City Campus is available at $15 per stall at the Parking Garage at 17th and R streets.
- Parking for people with disabilities is available for $15 per vehicle on a first-come, first-served basis in Booster Lots 5 and 9 on the south side of Salt Creek Roadway between Stadium Drive and 14th Street northeast of Memorial Stadium. Lots 5 and 9 have free cart shuttle service to the stadium for mobility-impaired guests. This shuttle is radio equipped and will be stationed during the game at the northeast corner of the stadium and on the east side for those patrons needing to return to their vehicles. Contact the Athletics Ticket Office at 402-472-3111 for pre-purchase opportunities. Charter and shuttle bus parking is available on W Street between 14th and 16th streets.
- Parking lots will open at 6 a.m. for games with kickoff scheduled before 6 p.m.; for games that start at 6 p.m. or later, lots will open at 11 a.m.
- UNL Red/White shuttles, with parking at the 17th and R Parking Garage, will drop off patrons on the east side or at the northwest corner of Memorial Stadium. This is a convenionent ADA drop-off point for those patrons who cannot walk long distances. There is a $15 charge for parking in the 17th and R Parking Garage.
- Stadium Drive, the street on the west side of the stadium, will be closed on game days.
- Star Tran will offer the Big Red Express shuttle service to and from the stadium from sites around Lincoln. The cost is $5 each way or $10 round-trip. Season passes are available for $60. For additional information, go to http://startran.lincoln.ne.gov or telephone 402-476-1234.
- The taxi cab drop off/pick up location will be at the corner of 14th and Vine streets east of the stadium, and north of Memorial Stadium on Salt Creek Roadway. Other passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after games. The recommended drop-off location is 12th and R streets.
- Up-to-date statewide road information can be found online at www.nebraskatransportation.org. Highway conditions and a brief weather report can be obtained by calling 511 on a land line or cell phone.
Writer: Tom Simons, University Communications
News Release Contacts:
- Butch Hug, Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Events