Free tax preparation assistance for international students and scholars

Any non-US resident is eligible to receive free tax preparation at the UNL City Campus Union on Tuesday afternoons between February 26 and April 9. IRS-certified volunteers will prepare federal tax returns at the UNL VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Site. (Please note, there are services available at UNL for US residents—however, this particular site is only equipped to assist non-US residents with their federal tax returns.)

There is no advance sign-up necessary; simply walk-in during the open hours with your necessary documents:
• Passport
• Immigration documents including:
- I-94
- I-20 for those in F-1 status
- DS-2019 for those in J-1 status
• All tax documents (such as W-2 forms)
• Your federal and state returns from last year, if you filed (this is helpful but not required)
• A blank check (This is a free service—your check is simply used as proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of refund, which will be processed far more quickly than a refund by mail. Again, this is helpful, but not required.)

The site will be open on the following dates and times:
February 26, March 5, and March 12, 2013; 12:00 noon – 6:00 pm: Georgian Suite, City Union
March 19, 2013; 12:00 noon – 5:00 pm: Colonial Room, City Union
March 26, April 2, and April 9, 2013; 12:00 noon – 6:00pm: Colonial Room, City Union

Sorry, but we cannot provide tax assistance outside of the hours listed above. If you are unable to attend this site, you can call the IRS at 1-800-906-9887 to find another VITA site in the area (specify that you are a non-resident). We have tried to provide enough open hours to allow for people to receive assistance over their lunch hour or after work.

Following preparation of the federal return at the City Union, students and scholars will be directed to the Nebraska Department of Revenue just a few blocks away to prepare their state return. This can, but does not have to, be completed on the same day as the federal return.

All international students who were physically present in the US in 2012 need to complete Form 8843 (a simple form) whether or not they earned income. Nonresident tax payers are not allowed to file US taxes electronically. Nonresidents must complete and mail paper forms.

Questions regarding the VITA site can be addressed to or 402-472-4646 (this phone number will connect you to the New Student Enrollment desk—this is the correct contact department for the non-US resident VITA coordinator).

More details at: