Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a variety of mental health services for UNL students and uses a brief counseling treatment model focused on helping students effectively meet a desired change or goal.
- Individual Counseling and Relational Counseling: Students participating in these services collaborate with their counselor to set goals, and sessions are typically scheduled every other week. CAPS can help students who desire or could benefit from long-term counseling options and/or weekly sessions to identify community resources.
- Group Counseling: Group counseling provides a great opportunity to work through a variety of concerns while receiving support and gaining new insight from peers. CAPS offers a variety of weekly processing groups and other short-term workshops.
- Alcohol and Other Drug Services: CAPS offers individual sessions, evaluations and workshops focused on alcohol and other drug use concerns.
- Body Image and Disordered Eating Services: These services include individual sessions, group workshops and the Body Acceptance Program to address body image and eating concerns.
- Crisis Services: CAPS offers 24/7 crisis services with our on-call counselor. Students can reach CAPS at 402.472.7450 and press “4” to speak with the counselor on duty at any time. These services provide an opportunity to speak with a counselor about an immediate crisis, get support and develop a plan to help manage a crisis.
- “Let’s Talk”: “Let’s Talk” is a program that provides easy access to brief, informal and confidential consultations with professional mental health providers from CAPS. “Let’s Talk” provides a place to informally meet with a counselor to have someone listen to you, and offer support, or students might prefer to get expert suggestions about the solutions and resources that may include brief therapy at CAPS.
First appointments, called initial evaluations, are scheduled on a same-day basis. Students may schedule these appointments online or call 402-472-7450 to schedule an initial evaluation.
If you have questions about services, please call 402-472-7450.
More details at: https://caps.unl.edu